Day 4. The Installfest aftermath. I believe this day the guys at the front desk managed to produce the key to the lab/classroom on time. I really didn't know what to do this day because we were supposed to start practicing on a linux machine. But the server and the accounts weren't ready yet. So, I had to find out something to teach today. My approach was to try to extract and/or summarize last class' experience and go from there. I didn't expect a lot of responses. I mean, I know how groups like these work. But still, I had a small amount of hope that they would react and actually give me something. How foolish I was. As expected, when I asked them for their opinion on the installfest experience, all I got a lot of mute and confused faces and a couple of "it was ok"s. So much for that. Then I thought about teaching them about disk partitions and the way linux manages them. And so I did. The thing with linux is that there are so many concepts that are related, and this makes it very difficult to determine what to teach first and what to leave for later. I gave them some basic concepts about device files and all, before moving on to primary and extended partitions, logical volumes, and such. Then, I continued to explain more or less the concept of filesystems and how linux managed them. Then, using the mountpoint concept, I tried to explain a bit about the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. After that, we went over the basics for users: username, password, home directory and shell. We talked about environment variables and such. And before I knew it, class was over. Thank God.

0 Responses so far.