Day 6 - 2nd day of practice

So I got to the school 15 minutes before class. Plenty of time to prepare for class and all. I got to the lab and, as always, it was filled with people. Most of them were checking their hotmail and stuff like that. I didn't want to kick them out of the lab just yet, because my students were nowhere to be found. I waited until the official start time of class. Still no sign of my students. Only a couple of them already sitting in front of the computers, some even with open sessions in the server, playing around with the commands I taught them. That made me happy. I started class with only 5 people. 3 minutes after that, a group of 5 students came in.
So I continued with the class, talking about how to copy files, how to move files, how to erase files, how to make directories, how to erase them, and so on and so forth. 10 or 15 minutes into the class, another student walks in. It was the guy that didn't show up last class. I gave him his user account, his password and told him how to change his password. On with the class. Later I found out that he was MUDding while I was teaching class. Fun, eh? Actually, most of my students were doing something else while I tried to make another student understand a concept or a command. That, my friends, is extremely frustrating. So the class went on. I can't remember exactly what was the commands I taught later. I do remember teaching them about Standard Input, Standard Output and Standard Error, and how to redirect them to files. I also told them about pipes and how to use them. What I do remember is that I started complaining (bitching would be the more accurate term) about the quality and quantity of their homework. They weren't exactly receptive. They weren't even looking at me. They were doing something else. Again, highly frustrating. I gave them double homework too. The results? Please see next day's post. Hint: nothing changed.

0 Responses so far.